State License

State License

While you will hear some people say that a state license is not needed to do HVAC (Mechanical Work), Electrical, Plumbing, and many other trades that are required to obtain a license with the local state boards to be able to run a company. The truth is that this is false.

I can’t speak for other states, but in the state of South Carolina you have to have a license to practice in any industry regulated by their governing body. Anyone not obtaining a license to operate their business is working illegally as you can see by the email they sent out to all legally
licensed businesses and people who will be operating in the State of South Carolina.
You can lookup anyone that is legally allowed to operate a regulated business in South Carolina at

[Begin Email]


You are required to renew your South Carolina license/registration before midnight on June 30, 2015, in order to continue practicing in this state.  Online renewal is now available at .  You should have received renewal instructions in the mail that included your USERID and password for renewing online.

The Residential Builders Commission changed to biennial licensure periods for individuals.  This means when you renew your license, it will be valid until June 30, 2017.

Bond On File, Limited and Unlimited will no longer print on the pocketcard, your bond expiration date or “no bond on file” will be listed on Licensee Lookup.

IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO RENEW YOUR LICENSE, please contact the Board by e-mail at and indicate in the subject line, “Do not wish to renew Residential license”.  Please include your name and license number.  If you later wish to renew, you may do so until June 30, 2015, upon payment of the renewal fee.  If you do not renew your license before June 30, 2018, you will be required to file a new application and take and pass the examination again (no exam required for COA or Specialty Registrant RBS).

If you cannot renew online, please go to the Board web site and download the blank renewal form.  The Board will not be able to accept requests for forms by phone, fax or e-mail.

It is critical that the board has your current e-mail and mailing addresses because the pocket card will be mailed to you.  Please send mailing address and e-mail changes to prior to renewing online.

[/End Of Email]


Laws and Legal Help

State LawRegulated FieldsReport Unlicensed Workers

Here is the law regarding the SC LLR:
SECTION 40-1-30. Authorization to practice.

It is unlawful for a person to engage in a profession or occupation regulated by a board or commission administered by the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation without holding a valid authorization to practice as required by statute or regulation.

An authorization to practice issued pursuant to this title is valid for up to two years and is renewable on renewal dates as established by the Director of Labor, Licensing and Regulation with the consent of each applicable regulatory board.

HISTORY: 1996 Act No. 453, Section 2.

Board of Accountancy

Board of Architectural Examiners

Athletic Commission

Auctioneers Commission

Board of Barber Examiners

Accessibility Committee of the Building Codes Council

Building Code Council

Board of Chiropractic Examiners

Contractors’ Licensing Board

Board of Cosmetology

Board of Dentistry

Engineers and Land Surveyors Board

Environmental Certification Board

Board of Registration for Foresters

Board of Funeral Service

Board of Registration for Geologists

Manufactured Housing Board

Board of Medical Examiners

Modular Buildings Board of Appeals

Board of Nursing

Long Term Health Care Administrators Board

Board of Occupational Therapy

Board of Examiners in Opticianry

Board of Examiners in Optometry

Board of Pharmacy

Board of Physical Therapy Examiners

Pilotage Commission

Board of Podiatry Examiners

Board of Examiners for Licensure of Professional Counselors and Marital and Family Therapists

Board of Examiners in Psychology

Board of Pyrotechnic Safety

Real Estate Appraisers Board

Real Estate Commission

Residential Builders Commission

Board of Social Work Examiners

Board of Examiners in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology

Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners

Here is the link to help you file your complaint: